Starting a Crew background material
Steps to Organizing a new Venturing Crew:
Step 0: Marketing and Membership
Step 1- Get Your Minimums
- A crew needs at least 5 youth members that have common interests.
- Youth members are young men and women 14-20 years old (or 13 and have completed eighth grade)
- 3 must be primarily registered in the new crew, however 2 may be multiplied from another unit.
- There must also be 4 adult members willing to fill the following positions:
- The main positions are called the Key 3: Chartered Organization Representative, Crew Advisor, and Committee members (2 required).
- All adults, as well as youth over 18, must complete Youth Protection Training. Adult advisors must complete Leader Specific Training. Additional adult support can be added later.
- At least two adults (Two-deep leadership) are required on every BSA activity, including meetings and Merit badge counseling.
- The adult members must complete some additonal online and outdoor training:
Step 2- Chartered Organizations
Find an organization to sponsor you as your Chartered Organization. This is often a church, local business, Kiwanis, or other group.
Step 3- Council Contact
Contact your District Executive (DE) at your council office, who will be your BSA contact.
Step 4- Lead the Adventure!
Once the paperwork is processed and training is complete, your adventure can begin!
Steps to Join a Crew:
- Locate Your Council
- Contact Your Unit
- Complete the Application
- Start Your Adventure in Scouting